Our Philosophy of Programming
Girls ages 6 to 18 come to our centers to meet with their friends, exchange ideas, learn new skills, and have fun. But they get a whole lot more.
At Girls Incorporated, we engage girls in learning opportunities that are hands-on, interactive, and different from those they experience in other settings. We tailor programs to the ages and developmental needs of the girls involved. We encourage girls to take risks and master physical, intellectual and emotional challenges so they gain a sense of their own power and strength.Girls Incorporated programs are comprehensive. We believe that you can’t separate one aspect of a girl’s life from another. So we look at the whole girls - and the range of issues she must confront. We help a girl:
- Make connections to future education and careers.
- Appreciate her own heritage and the cultures of others.
- Feel comfortable in her body.
- Gain the tools to express herself.
- Develop a sense of security—and a sense of adventure.
- Rely on herself, take responsibility for her actions, and acquire the capacity to make good decisions.
Programs are the ‘heart & soul’ of Girls Incorporated. We provide needs based programs designed to empower girls to overcome obstacles and to inspire all girls to reach their full potential. Our national and local programs are specifically based on the ever changing needs of girls today. Through our dedication to provide girls with a safe, supportive, single gender environment and our determination to give girls ground breaking, researched based programs Girls Inc. stands alone as the leading advocate for girls in our community.
- Preventing Adolescent Pregnancy (PAP): Girls acquire the knowledge and skills to remain abstinent and to maintain a safe and healthy lifestyle.
- Operation Smart: In our single gender “Smart Rooms’ and labs we establish a solid foundation which inspires girls to excel in math, science and technology.
- Economic Literacy: Girls learn to budget, invest, save and more as they embrace skills that prepare them for economic independence.
- Sports: Girls learn to seek an active lifestyle as they develop athletic skills, a competitive spirit, health awareness and interest as they participate in team sports.
- Computer Lab
- She Votes: Girls get involved in politics.
- Handy Helpers: Girls learn basic home repairs.
Other program categories include careers & life planning, self reliance & life skills, health & sexuality, sports & adventure, culture & heritage and leadership & community action.
Girls Incorporated has awarded scholarships to over 100 girls since 1965 and since 1996 eleven members have received national Girls Inc. scholarships, with six receiving $10,000.
Gifts and Memorials
Girls Incorporated has constantly growing demands and unmet needs. Any donations are welcomed and appreciated... financial, volunteer service or usable items from your home or business. Some contributors prefer to honor a friend or relative, allowing their gifts to serve as a living memorial. Scholarship donations make the dream of further education a reality for many Girls Incorporated members.
- • 70% of the girls participating in Girls Inc. Programs live in poverty
- • 50% of the girls participating in Girls Inc. programs live in single-parent homes
- • Teen pregnancy rate as of 2007 - 38% for Georgia and 51.8% for Muscogee County
Girls Inc. programs are specifically designed to combat these community problems.