The Girls Club of Columbus opened the doors of its first location in 1952, a dream come true for the Quota Club of Columbus. Their leadership, vision and commitment resulted in the development of a warm and nurturing environment for area girls at the Kolb Avenue site, which continues to thrive today. The South Columbus Branch, which was later renamed the Garrard Memorial Center, opened in 1961. Continuing to aggressively meet the growing needs of the community, the Girls Club expanded with on-site locations in selected public housing communities. In 1988, the Booker T. Washington Center opened, followed by the opening of the Baker Village Center in 1989.
In 1992, Girls Club became an affiliate of Girls Incorporated, a national organization comprised of Girls Clubs from across the U.S. and Canada. This affiliation paved the way for outstanding educational programs and scholarship opportunities for our girls, as well as excellent training for our staff.
Following a successful first-ever capital campaign in 2000, the Baker Center, a state-of-the-art facility located on Levy Road near Baker Village, was built. Today, Girls Inc. of Columbus annually serves more than 1,500 girls from across the Columbus area.